When I was younger, I always instinctively prayed to God the Father. I directed myself toward Him as much as I could. When I imagined Him, He was vague but BIG. I probably saw clouds and perhaps a grandfatherly figure but mostly, He was present, all around me. In the last few years, I have tried to develop more of a relationship with Jesus because, while God is HUGE, Jesus is not. St Paul tells us He was "a man like us in all things but sin". I like to imagine myself in Jesus' company and when I do, I am often the Samaritan woman at the well. I sit there in the heat of the day, bucket in hand and look at Jesus. I imagine His gaze and His healing presence. I imagine my life transformed forever. I sometimes put myself in the place of Mary Magdalene when Jesus stepped in as she was about to be stoned or when she washed Jesus' feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. I can picture myself sitting at Jesus' feet like Mary but more often, I am Martha, not understanding the importance of the moment.
I have had a mediocre Lent, not the best and not the worst. I am ending it appropriately I think--with an understanding that I needed Jesus' sacrifice on Good Friday. That's tough because I love Him. But if He had not died in my place, I would never, in a million years, be able to save myself. I have good intentions but I often cannot deliver. I have knowledge but I fail to act on it. I have a desire but don't know the right path and frequently follow the wrong one instead. The particulars don't matter. She who is most lost is the one who doesn't know she is lost. And the simple truth is--I am so in need of a savior that I often can't see how much I need one. Today though, it is clear. For that I am grateful and I know it will be a very
HAPPY EASTER.
Amen. My chosen Lent was so-so, but the Lord provided an unchosen Lent for me and that has been intense. May your Easter season be absolutely glorious for you and your family. Paka and I have been praying our rosary on the sun porch with candles and twinkle lights. It is peaceful and beautiful and I place you all on the chairs and swing in my mind. Know you are very loved and prayed for.
ReplyDelete